Categories and Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Mexican Lasagna

 As a person that prepares dinner at least four times a week and packs my fiance a lunch five times a week; food takes up a lot of my thoughts. And, I often find myself asking myself "What does everyone else eat?". Granted, I do not consider it below me to fix a boxed dinner now and again (Velveeta Skillets, Chef Boyardee Pizza, and Pasta Sides are the boxed staples); I feel even more satisfied when I prepare a mouth watering home made meal. 
 I am a mexican food creator queen. I make a Mexican Lasagna that would bring all of the boys to the yard and my Chicken Enchiladas are pretty amazing too. I also make my red pasta sauce from (mostly) scratch and everyone raves about it (used for spaghetti and lasagna). Just to name a few.
 Part of this blogs intention to share and hopefully have new recipes to try out shared with me. However, I don't think I ever make the same identical thing twice, as I don't ever write out recipes and stick to them. I am more of an add a few things here and there, taste as I go, trial and error, kind of cooker. With that said when following any of my recipes feel free to add things, change things, and make them your own. Hopefully, you will share your kitchen experiences with me and we can all grow into master-family dinner-making chefs together. 
 So, from now on I will start blogging recipes with out all of this explanation. Try them out, let me know how they turn out.. You make something that tops it? Let me know!

Mexican Lasagna
I make it in my trusty 8x8 glass 2 qt. Pyrex baking dish (I make everything in this, I own 2 and they get a lot of action in my kitchen). It makes 9 regular lasagna sized servings. And, typically everyone has at least 2 pieces (because it's THAT good).

What you'll need... 8 regular sized soft tortillas, about 6 oz. of cream cheese, about 1-1.5 lb. of ground beef (I suppose you could substitute with just about any kind of meat), 1/4 c. taco seasoning (I bought a giant season shaker of it at Sams, but you could use a packet or make your own), a can of corn, small can of diced green chilies, can of Diced Tomatoes (I use RoTel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies), salsa (I used Mrs. Renfro's Black Bean Salsa, it is a little more expensive but I think the taste is worth it), shredded cheese (I use Kraft Four Cheese Mexican Blend).

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare baking dish (I use Pam, however as soon as my Pam runs out I am going to attempt to make my own with no fillers or preservatives, I'll post on that when my Pam runs out).

Start browning your ground beef in a large, deep-ish skillet over medium high heat (I usually season my meat with some salt, pepper, and a little garlic powder while it is browning). While the beef is browning start putting cream cheese on the tortillas then folding them in half. Once beef is cooked through, drain it, turn the stove temperature down to low or simmer, put it back in the skillet and add 1/4 cup of Taco Seasoning, and the can of Diced tomatoes (you will want to kind of smash them down so the liquid comes out of them, you don't want the sauce super runny but you do want it to be saucy enough to not make your lasagna dry, use your own discretion.) If you are unhappy with the consistency you can always add a little water or tomato sauce to thin it out. After it is well incorporated, add the corn and chilies (feel free to add anything else that you think would be good here). Let warm through and remove from heat. 

Put a thin layer of prepared sauce in the bottom of your baking dish. Then a layer of the tortillas. I use 4 on the bottom later to cover the whole bottom and give it a good base but use just two on the other two layers. Add a layer of sauce, then a layer of cheese. Repeat Twice. Then add a pretty decent sized layer of salsa to the very top and sometimes I add some taco sauce for an extra little kick. 

Bake for 25-35 minutes or until bubbly. Remove, let sit up for 10-15 minutes (if you can resist that long). And, you're ready to chow! 

I searched my phone and computer for a picture of this stuff- but had no luck.. I'll take one and add it next time I make it. Bon appetite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment