Categories and Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Shoe Closet

 When we first moved into our house, there was a vacant closet in the hallway between our master and guest bedrooms. I think it's intention is to be a linen closet. Our guest bathroom has these built in shelves which would be appropriate for our linens so we didn't need it to be a linen closet. What girl doesn't WANT a shoe closet? Well, this girl does. I LOVE shoes. 
 Here is what it looked like until I got around to convincing Steve it's potential...

 It was hideous and not maximizing it's full storage capabilities. So me and the hubs headed off to Lowe's and bought more of those wire racks and the stuff for hanging them. I knew I wanted a longer shelf across the top and then another shelf at the bottom on the other side of what was already there...
 So, Steve cut them down to the size I wanted and hung them up... I probably could have accomplished this task on my own- but luckily for me I have him so I didn't have to... We also decided to hang the shelves upside down and with a slant so that they looked like they were meant to hold shoes. Here is the look of it while they were being installed...

Once he was finished, I started moving my shoes in...
 But, I wasn't yet satisfied... This is my SHOE CLOSET for goodness sakes. It needed some special attention. 
 So, I decided I was going to use some of the sample colors of paint I had acquired and give it some gorgeous stripes. That process was a little more frustrating that I thought. I tried to tackle it myself- however me and my laser level are not friends. Steve had to come to the rescue and draw the lines in pencil. We made the lines different sizes so it looked a little more random. I went in and put different widths of painters tape over the lines to give the areas that would be staying tan different widths also. Then started painting. I had 3 colors I wanted to use so I just started randomly painting the lines in. 

 Once, it had dried for a few hours I slowly removed the painters tape and was THRILLED with the outcome. This is probably my number 1 favorite place in my house. As, it is the only space that is ALL MINE- all for me. Sometimes, I leave the doors open just so I can admire all of it's beauty when I walk by...
 This was the finished product...
 For awhile I kept my dresses in there- however, ultimately, decided that they needed to be with the rest of my clothes (or Steve's clothes- he willingly gave up half of his closet for my dresses. I am sure he loves looking at my dresses every time he opens his side of the closet to get dressed- but there just wasn't enough room in my side of the closet! Marry the guy that gives you half of his closet space, ladies!)
 This is what it is looking like these days. 
 I have added some hooks to hang purses and hats. And, I also use a tie rack for my scarfs, and belts. I am already begging for it to be expanded (I don't think I can shove another pair of shoes in there!). However, I'm not sure that would be as easy of a task- and it probably won't happen.
 Make your house your own. Make your house WORK for you. Make your house a place that makes YOU and your family happy. Use up every square inch of it. 

 Thankful

 Right now, I am thankful for music. It can be inspiring, soothing, calming, hyping. It is everything you need it to be, when you need it. It can bring back a memory you had otherwise forgot at the sound of the first beat. It can bring people together. It can get you through difficult times. It can make you smile, or be the soundtrack for a good session. I LOVE music. All kinds of music. Pop, Rap, Rock and Roll, Classical, Country, Grunge... Everything except metal; it scares me. Radar by Britney Spears is playing right now for me via Pandora. I currently have a mix of stations set up that include: 90s Alternative, Today's Hits, Summer Hits Of the 90s, Brad Paisley, Usher, Britney Spears, Dave Matthews Band, and John Mayer. What do you like to listen to?
 The image for what I am thankful for...
My cute little Squishy Girl, wearing her Mama's scarf. She is my best friend and responsible for many smiles and laughter in my house. Every Single Day. We LOVE Josephine! 







No comments:

Post a Comment